1. SEND service changes and COVID-19 support:
Lifetime Service – Sirona care & health, Children’s Hospice South West and Jessie May are working together to meet the urgent and essential needs of the families that we care for through this challenging time. The first priority is to ensure that children remain cared for and supported in the community wherever possible and appropriate. From 11 April, a dedicated telephone number offering 24/7 access to advice and support from a nurse with hospice/community care experience has been provided to families directly.
Speech and Language Therapy – Some regular clinical activities are paused until further notice. This includes:
Early Years Advice Drop ins
- Training Sessions
- Group therapy sessions and support groups
- All school based activities.
Telephone advice and information services:
There are now dedicated telephone advice and information services, including the following specifically for SEN and Disabled children and young people.
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Bristol and S. Glos: call 0300 125 6207 or 0300 125 6206.
- Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy, all areas: 07917 393196
- Specialist Community Paediatrics, Bristol and S. Glos.: 01454 865190
- Speech and Language Therapy, Bristol and S. Glos.: 07825 016335
These phone lines will run until further notice, and will be staffed from 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. For health information and advice about coronavirus, please go to the NHS 111 website in the first instance.
2. Coronavirus (COVID-19): Special Educational Needs and Disabilities update for parents
To find out about a range of service updates, click here: covid-19-special-educational-needs-and-disabilities-update-for-parents
3. Council and CCG response to the OFSTED and CQC Reports on SEND provision in Bristol
The Council and CCG have released the details of how they plan to address the weaknesses of SEND provision for the people of Bristol, along with written evidence that their proposals have been accepted.
You can find full details, and more information at: https://www.bristol.gov.uk/policies-plans-strategies/written-statement-of-action
4. Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related resources for SEND children and young people
|Contact – Information for families with disabled children||Information about coronavirus and helpful resources for families with Disabled children.|
|Bristol Royal Hospital for Children – Easy read information about coronavirus||Easy read for children and young people with disabilities of learning difficulties .|
|Book Island – Picture books on Vimeo||Award-winning Bristol based publisher of picture books|
|Bristol Autism Team – Preparing for more time at home||Tips for parents of children with autism for spending more time at home|
|Bristol Autism Team – Tips for supporting children with autism||Advice on supporting children emotionally and practically.|
|Bristol Educational Psychology Service – Improving concentration at home||Step-by-step guide on improving concentration for the whole family.|
If you have trouble reading section 4, you can access more information on what’s available at: https://www.bristollearningcity.com/directory/Please follow us on social media