Do you care for, or have contact with an older person, or employ a PA from a non-UK EU country?

Due to Brexit, EU citizens must apply for the EU Settlement Scheme if they want to continue living in the UK after June 2021. Even if they have lived in the UK most of their lives.

EU nationals who have lived continuously in the UK for five years or more should be entitled to settled status, meaning they are free to go on living in the UK indefinitely.

There have been over 36,000 applications from Bristol to the scheme so far, but only 520 of these – just 1% – have been from citizens aged 65 or over.
The Council is concerned that this group are not aware of the scheme or do not know that they need to apply.  We want and need to make sure their rights continue to be protected after Brexit.

The deadline to apply to the scheme is 30 June 2021.

Employers can continue to confirm an EEA national’s right to work using only their passport or national ID card until 30 June 2021.  From 1 July 2021, employers will no longer be able to accept an EEA or Swiss passport alone as evidence of a permanent right to work in the UK for new employees.  Employers will need to see proof of immigration status which will be either under the EU Settlement Scheme or the new immigration system.  Providers will also need to update recruitment policies.

Read more about the scheme and how to apply, including instructions in other languages, on the Council’s dedicated website:

People can get help from:
 St Pauls Advice Centre, 146 Grosvenor Road, BS2 8YA – 01179 9552981
 North Bristol Advice Centre, 2 Gainsborough Square, BS7 9XA  – 01179 851122
 South Bristol Advice Services, Withywood Centre, Queens Road, BS13 8QA – 01179 851122

Please follow us on social media

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.