The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) are inviting people to help with some important work. This work is being done by the non-profit research organisation Research in Practice who want to interview people for it.
The EHRC inquiry looks into how older and disabled adults and unpaid carers can challenge local council decisions about social care and support in England and Wales.
They want to talk to people about trying to challenge decisions around:
- Assessment of care or support needs
- How or where care or support needs will be met
- Changes to care or support needs identified by the council or to their package
- Some other decisions (but not on healthcare or which council is responsible) – we can advise which decisions would be appropriate so please email to check
It is important they talk to people who wanted their council to change its decisions about social care or support. You may have got decisions changed, still be trying to or may not have been able to challenge the decisions. This can be from any time since 2018.
EHRC and Research in Practice’s aim is to talk to people in depth about what happened when they wanted their local council to change decisions around adult social care. They will be talking to around forty people:
- From different parts of England and Wales
- Who may need care and support, or are an unpaid carer, or family or friend
- Who need support for different kinds of needs
- Who had different experiences of trying to change things about the support they got.
They particularly want to talk to people who face barriers to getting what they need or getting things changed, for example because:
- They are not able to easily understand the rules or communicate what they want
- Their first language is not English or Welsh
- They don’t have access to the internet
- They experience discrimination, for example racism or ageism
- They have nobody to support them
- They don’t have much money.
Particpant involvement and words would be kept anonymous.
Please find below information about what is involved. The Gatekeeper information sheet is for you. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in taking part.